Ship Shooter on GitHub
Here is a list of changes that I have made over the past little while
- Added in power ups that have a chance of spawning pseudo randomly. I did this by adding a script to my game controller object that holds an array of GameObjects. This way I can edit which ones power ups to use in the inspector. So far I have a power up that increases the firing rate of the player, but is set up so that I can I also make it a debuf to the player if I wanted to in the future. I also have one that adds health to the Earth so that the player can last longer.
- Added in some background art, like the Earth itself and some stars in the background. I got the stars background off of Google, and I was messing around in Photoshop to make the earth myself.
- Changed it so that the player dies on first contact. I feel that this makes the game a lot harder, but I can still change it for a power up that I want to add soon which will be like a shield that will just take a hit for you.
- The buttons scale to different resolutions! It might not be done in the best way, but I did a lot of research into this and it seems that the scaling of the UI elements in Unity is really weird and a lot of people struggle with this issue. However, it now works with all the resolutions available in the Unity Game window in the editor.
- Lowered the volume of the sound effects. They were very loud and annoying last time around. I eventually want to get different sound effects in the game and also a background track, but I’m not worried about that right now.
Issues that I am working on and aware of
- The “GAME OVER” is very fuzzy. I am still looking into the best way to scale this image, but I’m sure I will figure it out eventually.
- The waves of enemies really are not that great. I haven’t changed the way that they spawn at all yet, but I am going to make it non-uniform distribution, similar to the way that I spawned the dinosaurs in this demo.
- The background image is not scaled very well, and I want a new one. I am struggling to find one that matches the ascetic that I want for the game, and I might end up making one in Photoshop.
- The way that the power ups go up and down rapidly is supposed to happen. I just need to change how it happens because it look awful. Like, really bad. I’m aware of this and I’m looking into better ways to do this. I want to make them move up and down so that it is not as easy to hit them. This way when the player actually gets them them they will feel like the power up actually worth it.
That’s about it for now
Ship Shooter on GitHub
So I have fixed a couple issues with this Ship Shooter game, and come with a couple more.
- The player has health now and can take a couple hits, but I am still working on making a pretty little health bar .
- The buttons can kinda scale for different resolutions, but it still does not work exactly how I want it to so there is more to come on that front.
I am going to be taking a break from this project for a little while until I can set some other things straight.
Things that I want to add:
- Scrolling background
- UI health bars
- Enemy distribution, spawn waves instead of just all at once.
Ship Shooter on GitHub
This game is a small and simple Unity game that I have made over the past holiday weekend, and into the week a little bit. The player controls a space ship, and shoots at the on coming aliens. Any aliens that the player misses, go on to hit a collider behind the player that I am using as the “Earth”. If the health of the earth gets to zero, the game is over. The player also loses if they get hit by an alien at all. For right now I am just using box colliders on all of the sprites, but I plan on making a more exact collider for each asset in time.
I am going back and forth with how I want to do the alien spawning, however. I have tried just having the amount of aliens increase with the players score, but there comes a point when there are just too many aliens coming at the player, and it becomes pretty much impossible.
There are a lot of other things that I want to add to this game, and I have learned a lot so far, which is really exciting. I love learning new stuff and better ways to do things.
I have also gotten a lot better with Photoshop, which is what I have been using to make the assets for this game. So far I have made everything myself when it comes to the assets.
Here are couple issues that I am aware of right now and working forward to fix:
- The aliens kill each other if they hit each other. I did this on purpose for now. I want to come up with a way to change the fact that they will hit each other at all, but for now, it is what it is.
- When you die, and are using a controller you can only select “Restart”, not “Menu”. I’m not really sure why this is happening as of right now, since you can select all the buttons at the main menu. It must have something to do with the button being at an angle to the other one.
- At certain resolutions, the buttons on the main menu all blur together on top of each other. This must be one of the settings that I haven’t checked out yet.
- The options button does nothing for now, later on I plan on having it be able to adjust volume, resolution, etc.
Here are a couple things that I want to add to this game soon
- Change how the scoring is going to be done by adding a timer, and you have to defend the Earth for a certain amount of time while keeping the health of the earth above a certain amount. I think that I can make a script for this so that I can make multiple levels easily.
- Fix the menu system, and make sure that the buttons scale properly at different resolutions. Right now it seems that the smaller the resolution that you play at, the more condensed the buttons are.
- Make a way to tell the player the controls in a fun and cool way.
- Also, make better controls for the keyboard and mouse. I say this because the first person other then me that played this said almost immediately “You need better controls”
- I’m thinking keep WASD for movement, but get rid of the mouse click to shoot. I will probably just switch that to the space bar. However I do like the mouse being involved, so maybe I will keep the controls but add the space bar for a special attack later down the line. I haven’t decided yet.
- Make a power up for the player to use that increases the speed of the gun for a certain amount of time. Also maybe some kind of bomb like in Geometry Wars or something.
- Make more then one kind of enemy, like ones that shoot back at you and at Earth
- Give the player health instead of a one hit one kill
Copyright Benjamin Hoffman 2016