Over this winter break I have heard back about a Co-Op for this coming Spring semester. It is not 100% set up as of right now, but I have been notified that I will be getting an official offer letter this week. The Co-Op is actually for the Interactive Games and Media and Computer Security departments at RIT. I am tasked with finding a good way to visualize data for pen-testing and other csec(computer security) competitions, like CPTC. I think that this is very exciting not only from a visualization standpoint, but also the challenge of actually collecting and sorting the data that I need in real time for this project. I am super excited to get started with this!!
Other then hearing about that Co-Op, I have been continuing to work with Unity on my Ship Shooter game. Some of the bigger progressive things that I have done on that subject are use Unity Services and set up Google Play achievements. I feel that this project has provided me with valuable experience that I could not get anywhere other then pushing myself to learn it. You can read more about those updates and things here.
And of course, Steam sales. So. Many. Games. So far I have picked up a couple party games like PHLCollective‘s ClusterPuck99 and Gang Beasts. On the AAA front I have been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 and I am really loving the multiplayer. I really wish that EA didn’t release that game so close to Battlefield 1 because it really is a multiplayer gem, and it’s a shame that more people don’t play it. I have also been putting a little bit of time into Inside and Abzu. So far my winter break has been pretty well rounded.
Thanks for reading, and if you want to get in contact with me just head over to my contact page.
Happy New Year!!
This weekend weekend I participated in RIT’s Imagine Cup game jam. The event is a competition for Microsoft’s Imagine Cup, and an opportunity to move on further in that competition.
I had a lot of fun doing this with my friend Andrew, and we spent our time making a platformer game with puzzle elements to. We call our game, Tabul. Unfortunately, me and my partner did not win anything in the competition in the end. I had a lot of fun and I learned a lot about using Unity and GitHub together and some of the problems that you can run into on a team.
What went right?
- The player movement
- The movement of the player was simple and fun. Every person that played understood how to move as soon as we started the game, without us even telling people how to move or do anything.
- The door mechanic
- This was one mechanic that we saw people really understood, mainly because I think that we introduced it well in the first level.
What went wrong?
- Not enough introduction to the mechanics of the game.
- One of the biggest things that is missing from this project is levels to introduce the player to the mechanics of the game. We found in our play testing that people got a little confused about the color change mechanic, and were not even trying to go through some walls even though they could.
- Difficulty level
- The levels that we made were very hard for beginner players, and we didn’t really provide any hook for the player in the beginning of the game
This year I am going to be hosting an Extra Life fundraiser with my fraternity, Kappa Delta Rho. We are hosting a video game tournament on November 5 at RIT in the fireside lounge. I am really excited for this fundraiser because it for a great cause and I also love video games!
If you would like to donate to me and my team you do so here!
We are also partnered up with the Electronic Gaming Society here at RIT, and they are having their Nerdpocolypse event at the same time!!! There will be tons of games to play and tons of prizes, so come on over and play games to heal kids!
All media on this website that involves Extra Life is from their multimedia kit.