Here is a list of changes that I have made over the past little while
- Added in power ups that have a chance of spawning pseudo randomly. I did this by adding a script to my game controller object that holds an array of GameObjects. This way I can edit which ones power ups to use in the inspector. So far I have a power up that increases the firing rate of the player, but is set up so that I can I also make it a debuf to the player if I wanted to in the future. I also have one that adds health to the Earth so that the player can last longer.
- Added in some background art, like the Earth itself and some stars in the background. I got the stars background off of Google, and I was messing around in Photoshop to make the earth myself.
- Changed it so that the player dies on first contact. I feel that this makes the game a lot harder, but I can still change it for a power up that I want to add soon which will be like a shield that will just take a hit for you.
- The buttons scale to different resolutions! It might not be done in the best way, but I did a lot of research into this and it seems that the scaling of the UI elements in Unity is really weird and a lot of people struggle with this issue. However, it now works with all the resolutions available in the Unity Game window in the editor.
- Lowered the volume of the sound effects. They were very loud and annoying last time around. I eventually want to get different sound effects in the game and also a background track, but I’m not worried about that right now.
Issues that I am working on and aware of
- The “GAME OVER” is very fuzzy. I am still looking into the best way to scale this image, but I’m sure I will figure it out eventually.
- The waves of enemies really are not that great. I haven’t changed the way that they spawn at all yet, but I am going to make it non-uniform distribution, similar to the way that I spawned the dinosaurs in this demo.
- The background image is not scaled very well, and I want a new one. I am struggling to find one that matches the ascetic that I want for the game, and I might end up making one in Photoshop.
- The way that the power ups go up and down rapidly is supposed to happen. I just need to change how it happens because it look awful. Like, really bad. I’m aware of this and I’m looking into better ways to do this. I want to make them move up and down so that it is not as easy to hit them. This way when the player actually gets them them they will feel like the power up actually worth it.
That’s about it for now